Visit Erie PA beaches
This is a peninsula, right? Why is it called “Presque Isle?”
Presque Isle is French for “almost an island.”
When does Presque Isle open?
Presque Isle State Park is a day use park that is open all year. The park opens at 5 a.m. and closes at sunset, with evening driving hours running until 11 p.m. in the summer and 9 p.m. in the winter.
What does “beach open” mean?
An open beach is a beach where a lifeguard is on duty and the beach is open to swimming. Swimming beaches open at noon unless otherwise posted. You are not allowed to swim on unguarded beaches. To find out when beaches are closed, visit PresqueIsle.org or GoErie.com. You can also sign up for our text message service, that alerts you when beaches have closed.
What to the colored flags on the beach lifeguard stands mean?
The flags indicate water conditions.
- Green flag means normal swimming conditions.
- Yellow flag means some restrictions due to hazardous conditions.
- Red flag means the area is closed due to extreme hazardous conditions.
- No flag means that no lifeguard is on duty and no swimming permitted.
Are dogs and other pets permitted on Presque Isle?
Yes. Pets must be on a leash and may only swim in unguarded swimming areas.
Is food sold on the peninsula?
Yes. There are concession stands at Beaches 6, 8, 10 and 11. Food concessions are open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. from Memorial Day to Labor Day. There are no restaurants on the park but many close by.
Is there camping on Presque Isle?
No. Camping is not permitted on the park, but there are several campgrounds close by.
Can you rent bikes on the park?
Yes. Bicycles and surreys — four-wheeled, pedal-driven carts — are available for rental at the Waterworks Pumphouse area. The Yellow Bike Rental Co. is open from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily from Memorial Day through Labor Day and 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on weekends during May, September and October. Call 814-835-8900 for more information.
Can you rent a boat on the park?
Yes. Canoe, rowboat, kayaks, motorboats and pontoon boats are available at the Presque Isle Canoe & Boat Livery.
Can you rent a jet ski on the park?
No. Jet skis are not available for rental on Presque Isle.
Are there deer ticks on Presque Isle?
Yes. On Presque Isle, small “Tick Area” signs warn hikers of the most infected parts of the park. These are generally the interior areas, near the thick vegetation and swamps. Your best defense against ticks and Lyme disease is prevention, according the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Its recommendations:
- Use insect repellent with 20 percent to 30 percent deet on exposed skin and clothing to prevent tick bites. Permethrin is another type of repellent that kills ticks on contact and one application to pants, socks and shoes typically stays effective through several washings. However, Permethrin should not be applied directly to skin.
- Wear long pants, long sleeves, and long socks to keep ticks off your skin. Light-colored clothing will help you spot ticks. Tucking pant legs into socks or boots and tucking shirts into pants help keep ticks on the outside of clothing. If you’ll be outside for an extended period, tape the area where your pants and socks meet to prevent ticks from crawling under your clothes.
Is fishing permitted on Presque Isle?
Yes, fishing is permitted anywhere except the marina docks during boating season and the guarded beaches during swimming season. For tips and tricks for fishing in the Erie area, visit the NWPA Outdoors Web site.
Is fishing equipment available for rental?
Yes. Loan equipment is available at the Stull Interpretive Center and equipment is available for purchase at the bait shops near the park entrance.