Best Places to ice fishing
December is the official month of the year to go ice fishing! The season extends until late February. It’s important to always take into consideration the ice conditions, temperatures, lake levels, and remember to ask the locals for the best bait. Ice fishing is growing in popularity and with portable shelters and rent equipment, it’s much easier to hit the lakes to enjoy this sport. Today we share with you some of the best places to practice ice fishing in Colorado.
Mile Hi Rafting Company, in Clear Creek County, offers outdoor adventure for everyone in the family. We are a family business that has been in these mountains for over 75 years and we believe that there is nothing grander than being in the outdoors. We offer ATV and UTV tours packages and help you plan your perfect outdoor adventure for you and your friends or family!
7 great lakes to go ice fishing
- Chambers Lake. This 250-acre lake is located near the towns of Gould and Rustic. Here you can catch Cutthroat Trout, Rainbow Trout and, in a lucky day, you might also catch Kokanee salmon. To catch these look for the deeper sections of the lake.
- Eleven Mile Reservoir. This is a 3, 400 acre body of water located near Hartsel and Fairplay. In this lake you can catch large Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout, Cutthroat Trout and Kokanee salmon too.
- Harvey Gap Reservoir. This reservoir is near the towns of Rifle and Glenwood Springs. Here you can get Rainbow Trout, Brown Trout and, in the deeper sections, there is abundant Yellow Perch.
- Trinidad Lake. This 1, 000 acre lake is located in the town of Trinidad. Fish species vary here as you can get the well-known Rainbow and Brown Trout, but also Largemouth Bass, Walleye, Crappie, Bluegill and Wiper.
- Chatfield Reservoir. One of the most popular fishing places, as it can be accessed from Denver, this 1, 100 acre lake is always very concurred. Fish types caught here go from Rainbow trout, Yellow Perch, Walleye, Crappie and Bluegill. The Colorado Division of Wildlife often replenishes the stocks in this lake.
- Crawford Reservoir. Even though it’s could be considered a small body of water, this 390 acre reservoir is a hot spot for ice fishing and it’s one of the few places where the season can extend until March. Here you can get Rainbow trout, Yellow Perch, Crappie and Northern Pike. It is located near the towns of Crawford and Hotchkiss.
- Lake Granby. This 7, 250 acre lake is one of the body of waters from the Three Lake Ice -Fishing contest, along with Shadow Mountain Lake and Grand Lake. A competition that has been taking place for the last 27 years. In this lake you can fish Rainbow trout, Brown trout, Lake trout and Kokanee Salmon.
THE OUTDOORS AWAITS! BOOK YOUR ATV or UTV TOUR TODAY this fall!
Mile Hi Rafting’s convenient location, just 30 minutes out of Denver, makes it an ideal destination for day trips and vacations. We are a family owned and operated company. We want our guests to have personalized attention down to the detail on any ATV tour or UTV tour or camping excursion. Reservations are recommended to be sure there is an opening for your specific date and time. Book your tour today!