Ohio fish Farm Port Clinton
Ottawa County, Ohio, in its present form has in the past been a part of several other counties in the long process of division of the original Northwest Territory beginning in 1788.
Hamilton County, formed in 1790, was extended northward in 1792 to Lake Huron, and included all of what is now Ottawa County, with the exception of the eastern section which later became a part of the "Firelands."
From 1796 to 1803, Ottawa County became a part of newly formed Wayne County, which included most of Michigan.
Subsequently, but prior to the formation of Ottawa County in 1840, sections of it were part of Trumbull, Franklin, Delaware, Huron, Erie, Sandusky and Lucas counties.
The Ottawa County Common Pleas Court is a Constitutional Court created by the Ohio Constitution of 1851. In addition, the position of Judge is a Constitutional Seat created by the same constitution with the Judge's term beginning February 9th each six years. The terms of later Judgeships created by the Ohio Legislature begin January 1. Prior to the Constitution of 1851 Ohio had a system of District and Circuit Courts and the Judges actually road "The Circuit" on horseback or by buggy. The Term of Court began only when the Circuit Judge arrived at the County Seat. He stayed as long as there were cases to be heard. Ottawa County's last circuit rider and first permanent Common Pleas Judge was Malcolm Kelly who served from 1891 through 1898. Judge Kelly was the grandson of William Kelly, builder of the Marblehead Lighthouse, thus our use of the Lighthouse as the symbol of the Court. Judge Kelly was also the great-grandson of Benajah Wolcott, the County's first American Colonial settler and the first keeper of the Marblehead lighthouse. From Judge Kelly to the present time, there has been in succession 11 elected Common Pleas General Division Judges.
The Richardsonian Romanesque Ottawa County Courthouse, resting on a stone foundation, is characterized by arches and steeply pitched gables with finials. The square tower, located in the center of the roof, rises to 132 feet above the ground. The top of the tower contains a belfry for the clock chimes, and the clock faces are located in gables similar to, but smaller than, those below.
The courthouse is constructed around the central stairwell that rises to the second floor and forms a vault. Four scenes depicting Ottawa County are painted on the walls outside the courtroom: "Quarrying, " "Farming, " "Fishing, " and "Fruit Growing." These four original industries of the county also define...